I want to talk about weight training. Its not just for men anymore. So many women are afraid to do resistance training cause they're afraid of "bulking up". Well let me put your fears to rest. The reason men are able to "bulk up" is because they have higher levels of testosterone. Women don't have enough to allow us to build extreme amounts of muscle. For women, weight training can only enhance our femininity. There are many benefits for women to start weight training, just a few of them are:
- If your trying to lose weight, one of the best ways to increase your metabolism is to increase muscle. Muscle burns 3 times as many calories as fat. The less muscle you have the less calories you'll burn.
- Being on a resistance program while losing weight tells the body to lose the fat but keep the muscle.
- As women age we lose muscle mass more rapidly than men. Weight training can help offset this.
- A Harvard study found that 10 weeks of strength training reduced clinical depression symptoms more successfully than standard counseling did. Women who strength train commonly report feeling more confident and capable as a result of strength training.
- Osteoporosis affects 1.2 million women because of depleting levels of estrogen which protects bone. Weight lifting Increases bone mineral density and strengthens the muscles cushioning the bones.
So ladies, "Man up" or should I say "Woman up" and get out there and start lifting weights. You'll feel better both physically and mentally.
Sarah Bran de Leon