back: Sarah B, Cat, Jill, Dawn Marie, Sue; middle: Christine, Lupe, Lisa, Pamela, Sarah J; front: Cindy

Inspiring thoughts, ideas and information provided by women business owners.

The purpose of Keystone Women's Circle is to unite, support and promote women business owners. A keystone is the stone in an arch that binds all others in place. In a circle of stones, every stone is a keystone. We believe that together we can create a foundation, not of brick and mortar, but of relationships and mutual support, enabling all of us to prosper.


Sunday, September 19, 2010

Mother and son time- precious

Many of you know that I have an adorable 14 year old son (that puts him in the 9th grade).  He is at the stage where one minute he wants to spend time with you, the next minute he doesn't so balancing my relationship with my son has been interesting.  I wish someone wrote a book like "What to expect with raising a boy."

Having the busy schedule that I have, I make a point to schedule "mom and son date night" about every two weeks.  It has been difficult to find things to do that we will both enjoy.  We have come to agree that we both like trying new foods.  I have been lucky with my son.  From a very young age I never had a problem with him trying new foods.  He would always say, "Mom, I will try it once and if I don't like it I'm not having it again."  Needless to say, he likes pretty much everything. 

This last Saturday we had "date night" and we decided to try Sushi.  I have never tried sushi before so this was the first time for the both of us.  We both had unknown expectations and a bit of excitement about trying something new.  While we were waiting for our sushi to be prepared we talked and laughed.  It was a great bonding time. 

During our conversation, my son asked if I could buy him a razor.  I said "very funny, you don't need a razor."  "You still have a baby face"  He said, "mom, yes I do, look at my face."  Sure enough, he had some stubble.  Of course, as a mom you know your babies will grow up but I just cannot believe how fast they do! 

So, after our sushi (which was great by the way. Tokyo sushi and grill restaurant-Shakopee)  We want to the store to buy him a razor.  I was filled with different emotions.  Sadness, that my son is not a baby anymore.  Excitement, that I am a part of this experience of buying his first razor.  Proud, that my son is developing into a man.  I wanted to tell everyone "We are here to buy my son his first razor!"

Of course, he wanted the fancy electric shaver and the shaver that has all the attachments to trim a beard and after a discussion about not going overboard, we settled on a simple razor, shaving cream and after shave lotion (I didn't think he needed the aftershave, but what do I know I am a girl). 

On the car ride home, I told him he will have to have his step dad show him how to shave when we get home.  He said, "mom, I already know how to shave."  I said "really, how."  He said he has been watching his dad and step-dad shave for years.  I said "watching someone shave and doing the shaving are two different things."  He said "remember, when I was little and I have a fake shaving kit.  I learned then."  A memory of him when he was 3 or 4 sitting on the counter in the bathroom with his pretend shaver, shaving flooded my mind.  He was so cute and  now look at him he is doing it for real!  I had to hold back the tears.

When we got home.  My son gave me a hug and thanked me for the great time we had together and for his new razor and products.  Even though I know next week he will probably not want to talk to me.  It is these precious moments that I will remember forever.  Mother and son time- precious.
Sarah Jaeger, Mystic Journey

No comments: